Stained Glass Project #2

Was SO nice not to have to set the alarm last night! Happy Labor Day to all of you! A very wet holiday for us here in the Deep South, especially for my family & friends in Rankin County MS, near Jackson. Tropical Storm Lee is bringing in buckets of water and tornadoes are forming here and there. Danny says our little crooked creek that usually is pretty dry in summer is now full.

After a bit of breakfast and another cup of coffee, I’ll be headed down to the studio to clean up my 2nd project, Lily Reflections, for my stained glass class. This is a mirrored piece, meant to hang on the wall rather than in a window. Because mirrored glass is “silvered”, it requires special handling before it can be used in stained glass projects. It must be carefully cut to avoid peeling away the silver and a special extra-fine grinding bit will keep the silver from chipping away on the edges. Because cutting and grinding “opens” the edges of the mirror, each piece must be sprayed with a product that seals the edges and prevents flux from seeping in. Failure to do this will result in a “black rot” look on the mirrored pieces. This could be interesting in certain instances, but not when you don’t plan it that way.

By the way, thank you to Danny, my Grinder Guy, for his help with the grinding on this project. 🙂

 

Finished the copper foiling and flat soldering. This was homework for this week. The next step will be to run a pretty bead of solder on all the lines. As you can see, it’s still covered in flux and instead of cleaning it after I finished the flat soldering , as I should have, I moved on to assembling the angel I still had not finished for a friend. Initially, I had cut the angel out as a lead project, meaning I would assemble it using channeled lead, but then I got busy with other projects and had never gotten around to putting her together. Something about her didn’t sit right with me and I couldn’t figure out what that was.

Hubby decided he would try assembling the angel while I was working on my class project. Mind you, he’s new to all this arty/crafty stuff, but he’s a great student. However, he didn’t at all like leading around those tiny pieces of glass and thought copper foil would work much better.

Now you can’t just switch an intended lead project to a copper foil project after the glass is cut because the lead requires larger spaces between the individual pieces than does the foil. The only thing to do was make another pattern and re-cut and grind the whole project. A good thing, actually, because I had figured out what bothered me about the original – the robe was too dark and the face and hand were too light. She looked DULL. Angels cannot look dull; they must be RADIANT!

Finally got her re-cut and Danny ground the pieces, but then he had to head to MS to stay a few days. I decided while I was in foiling mode with my class project, I would go ahead and foil Ms Angel, so I spent some time on the couch wrapping sticky copper foil around big and tiny pieces of glass, in preparation for soldering.

I like this angel much better than the other one. Still haven’t decided what to put around the exterior edges. Whatever it is, it must be pliable enough to wrap around all the curves. This could get interesting as I’ve never done a freeform piece. We shall see!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *